Saturday, August 15, 2009

Jay Reatard for The New York Times

In the few years that I have been working as a photojournalist I have never actually received an assignment to photograph a musician that I not only had heard of, but was a pretty big fan of too. Last week I had the opportunity to go to Memphis, hang out with Jay Reatard at his home for the afternoon, drink a bottle of Prosecco at 11:30am, talk about music and the contradiction/beauty of making a living as an "artist", and barbeque. It was definitely one of those, "I can't believe this is my job." moments. Jay was really great to photograph despite his broken rib from jumping off a bar the night before. What a fucking rock star...

You can read Mike Rubin's article HERE.

Check out Jays music HERE.







5 comments:

Chris Franz said...

Your photos have consistency; both in form and in focal length. Do you use a 24 prime by chance? Just curious. I just love that when I view your images, I am not seeing the photographer, just the scene in front of me.

Josh Anderson said...

Hey Chris,

Thanks man! All of this stuff was shot with a 35 1.4 on a 5d. I do use a 24 occasionally, as well as a 16-35.

Chris Franz said...

Dang, I was close. I am used to my 1.6 crop factor I guess. Looking forward to seeing more.

jeff allen said...

Awesome photos of jay and the rest of your photography also, enjoyed taking a look.

Josh Anderson said...

Thank you Jeff! Appreciate it.